Generally speaking anyone can be appointed as a Substitute Decision-Maker, but you need to be sure that they will have the mental strength to be able to carry through your wishes.  Those who CANNOT be appointed to the role include your doctor, nurse or paid professional carer.  Family members and friends who are paid Carers’ Allowance are able to be named as Substitute Decision-Makers.